Those who don’t really understand the true essence of respite care typically associate it with being selfish or see it as something that is unnecessary. However, for those who understand and use this service, it is something indispensable. As an accredited provider of In-Home Care in Broward County Florida, TLC Senior HomeCare aims to help you understand this service better and to help you see its many benefits.
- What is respite care?
Respite care is a service that provides family caregivers the opportunity to step back from their caregiving responsibilities as a respite care provider steps in their place. It relieves the family caregiver from their duties so that they can rest and take care of other responsibilities. Respite care can be provided on a one-time occasion or on a regular basis. It is considered as temporary care, which can be anything from an hour to a couple of weeks. Typically, respite care is beneficial to aging individuals and to those with disabilities or chronic illnesses.
- Why is it important?
Family caregivers are at risk of “caregiver burnout” – a state of total physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion. After all, caring for a loved one can be a stressful and overwhelming responsibility, and it can be exhausting for family caregivers who have no formal training for this kind of job. For this reason, respite care should be an integral part of your caregiving program.
- How can it benefit family caregivers?
Respite care can provide numerous benefits for family caregivers including, but not limited to:
- Allows the caregiver to rest without worrying about their loved one’s care
- Provides the caregiver with an opportunity to take care of their other responsibilities not related to caregiving
- Provides opportunities for outings, vacations, and etc.
- Allows the caregiver to step back and view the situation from a different perspective, thus, providing them with new insight
- Reduces the risk of depression and social isolation that a caregiver may feel
- Allows the caregiver to live their own life, care for their own family, maintain their friendships, and pursue their careers
- How can it benefit patients?
Respite care can also bring benefits to the patient including, but not limited to:
- Ensures that the patient’s needs will still be met and that they will not be neglected even if the family caregiver can’t be there
- Reduces feelings of depression and social isolation
- It can be a breath of fresh air for everybody, including the patient
- Allows the patient to remain at home even when the family caregiver cannot be there
We want to remind family caregivers that it is okay to take some rest – allow our respite care providers to take some load off of your shoulders. It is not selfish and you are not abandoning your loved ones. Are you ready to accept Home Care Services in Florida? Contact us at 844-772-2730 or 844-SR-CARE-0 for service arrangements.